Monday 23 April 2012

ELECTRIC MONKEYS!

I may as well confess that I am a big, big, big Arctic Monkeys fan.
To me, their music is immense and each and every song they do is so well crafted 
that time after time I am taken away by their sheer talent, skill and ability.
Can the Monkeys do no wrong?
Well that question was put to the test last Wednesday night...
I was in the car, again, listening to the mighty Zane Lowe after
my weekly guitar lesson. A good piece of guitar playing was what
I was in the mood to listen to, and at Zane's mention of a new Monkeys
record, I upped the volume, much to my mothers dismay.

The record was called 'Electricity', B-Side to the relatively new release
'R U Mine' of which 2,500 copies of the record were released on
Record Day this Saturday gone. 
I didn't get my mitts on one unfortunately as here in the midlands,
record shops are limited and also I do not own a record player, boo,
but that is another matter...
Upon hearing 'Electricity' for the first time, my brow creased and
I listened intently to the music blasting out the speakers.
Was this really Alex Turner crooning over a series of admittedly awesome 
guitar riffs performed by Nick and Jamie?
Was that seriously Matt Helders drumming away in the background?
Were these the same four Sheffield guys who once did 
'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' circa 2005/ 2006?
By the time the record had finished, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.
Once more, the Arctic Monkeys were putting forward a slightly new
sound that would again divide their fans or win them a few new ones.

Zane seemed to share my perplexity and decided to replay the record
again. I too had a curiosity to hear this new delivering again; there was
something captivating about the song that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
It was either sheer brilliance or a turn for the worse.
I sincerely hoped it was the first as the thought of my beloved Monkeys
producing a bad song seemed tragically unbelievable.
The second time round, the song proved itself to indeed be a piece
of sheer brilliance. A new sound, yes, but certainly one not to be missed.
Ever since that night, the song has been played numerous times on my 
I-Pod and it has proved once more just how great a band the Monkeys are.

If you want to here the song for yourself, follow this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFM17WaTCys&feature=related and see
for yourself. Yes, it isn't like their old stuff, but it is still a cracking piece
of music that will have your foot tapping like there's no tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment