Thursday 26 April 2012

BEATLES TOP TEN TUNES

The Beatles: LEGENDS.
What other word can you possibly use to describe a band like this? Whether you love their music or not, there is no denying that The Beatles altered music forever, paving the way for all the great artists that followed in their wake.
Ringo, Paul, John and George were an incredible quartet combination that produced hit after hit without compromising on quality. 
To this day, they are still remembered, revered and celebrated, with their fan base ever growing despite the fact that they originated back in the 60's. I admit that when I first heard their music, Yellow Submarine I think it was, I was freaked out big time. I didn't like what I was hearing, and given that I was about seven or eight and a huge S-Club 7 fan, it was understandable. 
So my first encounter with The Beatles did scar me for most of my primary school years, however that all changed when I entered secondary school and happened to watch a certain T-Mobile advert...


People were packed into Trafalgar Square; mobile phones clasped in hands and smiles on faces.
They were singing a song together, a song that seemed to unite the huge crowds of people and create such a warm, friendly atmosphere that even as a viewer, sat on a sofa in front of a television, you were captivated.
The song? Hey Jude by The Beatles.
I was so taken by the song that I went on You Tube and watched the video, a whole seven minutes of The Beatles singing a song that on the outset, probably shouldn't work, but nevertheless certainly did, and it was that one wonderful song I still adore to this day that cemented my love for The Beatles.


Since that day, I've become a great admirer and fan of The Beatles' work and to celebrate this fabulously brilliant band, I've created my own 'Beatles Top Ten Tunes' list full of the songs I personally love...


1) Hey Jude
2) All You Need Is Love
3) Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4) She Loves You
5) Twist And Shout
6) I Want To Hold Your Hand
7) Love Me Do
8) Can't Buy Me Love
9) Help!
10) Let It Be


As you can see, Submarine still hasn't found its way onto the list.
However that aside, choosing a top ten of songs from The Beatles is tricky business; you have to really compare the songs and almost decide which in your eyes outdoes the others. In my opinion, Hey Jude is the supreme song, however others may argue that Let It Be or I Want To Hold Your Hand should take this title.
If you want to comment your own top ten list, feel free to do so; I'd love to see what other people think!
I have no doubt whatsoever that The Beatles are one of the few music artists whose legacy will never be forgotten, and perhaps in ninety years time, they'll still be a legion of fans celebrating the work they produced all those years ago.





No comments:

Post a Comment