Thursday 28 June 2012

THUNDER, LIGHTNING AND GOOD MUSIC

I have just made it through a thunderstorm whilst in the house alone. Phew. The lightning resembled fireworks, adding light to the dull grey skies; the rumbling wind transcended into majestic, booming thunder and sheets of rain cascaded from the sky. So how did I decided to spend my time I hear you say; well I hid in my room, half reading old ramblings in my notebooks and half staring dumbfounded out the window, trying to figure out how it was possible for the naff British weather to produce weather like that.

Whilst I did all these pointless things instead of changing out of my pyjamas, I thought about what music I should put on to accompany this brute of a storm, and my first thought was the new Kings of Leon album I bought the other day- okay so it came out in 2010, but still, it was a new purchase for me- 'Come Around Sundown'. I bought it during a moment of self pity in which I also bought four other CD's; I had missed my guitar exam after reading the time wrong and when I was lucky to be given another slot, I was certain I had messed the dreaded exam up anyway. So obviously I had to go and buy some CD's to make myself feel better, and the Kings Of Leon album in particular is one I've wanted to get for two years but never gotten round to actually purchasing.

As I was so desperate to listen to the tracks on the album and previously hadn't found the time to give it a spin, I decide today, in this thunderstorm, the likes of 'Radioactive', 'Back Down South' and 'Pyro' would sound pretty darn good against the backdrop of a powerful thunderstorm. Now I'm not normally one to blow my own trumpet, but I must admit that I was right, and I would urge you to get this album, if you haven't already got it, and play it during the next thunderstorm to come your way. I don't know if it's because of the storm itself, or if storms in general just have some sort of magical, beautiful power that makes good music sound even more incredible than it already is, but whatever the reason, I am now convinced that thunderstorms are the best time to listen to and appreciate a record.

Every track that dispersed through the CD player to meet my anticipating ears sounded so incredible, well crafted and magical against the backdrop of the thunder. I was nodding my head and tapping my fingers to the beat, thinking records like this do not come around very often and also trying to recall the last time a record had made me feel this way. I'm putting it down to a combination of the thunder and brilliance of the record itself; it's fantastically brilliant and that's no exaggeration. When the record has finished, much to my disappointment, I decided to see if the magic of the storm would work on another record, so I fished out another CD which was bought in self pity, MGMT's 'Oracular Spectacular', a title which always makes me smile.

I can confirm that the magic did indeed work for this record and its eclectic mix of intriguing and beautiful sounds all came together brilliantly to make a fantastic piece of work that made me want to swirl UV paint on my face and either go out to a festival or dance in those sheets of rain and hopefully not get hit by lightning. MGMT's 2007 release is another key record you should probably add to your  collection as it is one of those records that seems to have been produced with summer, friendship, parties and festival season in mind. So like 'Come Around Sundown', I found this record to be magical and well made too; both will definitely become regulars on my I-pod and I hope that when you listen to either record, you feel that same magic too and understand where I am coming from. Obviously listening whilst in a thunderstorm is more preferable, but I'm pretty sure that a gloriously sunny day or a typical overcast sky would still produce the same effect, at least I hope it does.

However if you don't want to listen to these records next time there's a thunderstorm, I urge you to grab whatever CD is lying next to you and whack it in you CD player and I promise you, that special thunderstorm magic will be there, and if you don't believe me, try it.







No comments:

Post a Comment