Thursday 17 May 2012

EMBRACE YOUR INNER 90'S KIDDA'!

You may as well know that I'm a 90's kidda' with a love for 90's music.
And okay, so I was born in 1996, and some of my favourites may also creep out into the early 2000's, but never the less, I have a passion for the music that I was blessed to grow up with and music that graced the decade I was born in to.

Blink 182, Nirvana, Sum 41, Oasis, Blur, Green Day to name but a few of the more... respectable artists should I say, because lets face it, I was a four at the end of the nineties and still in primary school for many years to come. Therefore, much as I know these artists may not be the most revered, I can't deny that soft spot I have for the likes of S-Club 7, The Backstreet Boys, Take That, Steps.
There's no point denying it!

I discovered many of the wonderful artists named above the older I got, and sometimes I secretly wish that I was born in the 80's just so that I could grow up with the music in the 90's as I love it so much. I wish I could have seen the height of Nirvana's fame, the media battle between Oasis and Blur, the early Blink 182 and Green Day concerts... The music in the 90's lead a new way for the industry as experimentation with music lead to the creation of different genres's and a rise in popularity of many, such as hip-hop, grunge, techno and dance.

Music from the 90's and early 00's instantly makes me feel like I belong. Whenever I listen to a song, whatever the genre or artist, I feel youthful, happy, alive and just a little bit nostalgic. I just know that even when I'm an 80 year old woman, playing bingo and riding on my motor scooter, I could listen to any song from the 90's and feel like a teenager all over again.

There's no denying the craftsmanship behind those songs and the way they make you feel a part of something larger than life itself. The 90's is an era of progression, experimentation and innocence, in the sense that people weren't exposed to or aware of the way life would change a mere ten to fifteen years later. Lets face it, when you look at music now and compare it to that of the 90's, you can see that it's progressed hugely what with all the technology available now. Yet at the same time, you can also see the desire of artists to capture whatever that magic was that 90's music embodied, reach out to those roots and take inspiration from music of their youth.

I will always have an undeniable passion for the 90's and the music it brought with it. Whether it be Hanson's 'Oom Bop', The Wannadies 'You and Me', Teenage Fan Club 'Sparky's Dream', Backstreet Boys 'I Want It That Way', Coolio's 'Gangsters Paradise', Oasis 'Wonderwall' or Nirvana's 'Lithium', it doesn't matter who the artist is or what genre it may be; the 90's is full of such a wide variety of sounds and artists that to pick one specifically is simply impossible. Every artist brought something slightly new to the table, and I am both thankful for that and the way the music they produced makes me feel that youthful excitement for life all over again.

LONG LIVE THE 90'S!





No comments:

Post a Comment