Sunday 6 May 2012

WE JAMMIN' WI' MARLEY!

When I mention the word Marley, what comes to mind?
I'm guessing most probably the infamous, legendary, wonderful man who went by the name of Robert Nesta Marley; other wise known as Bob Marley.
If not the man himself, then maybe one of his Jamaican rich songs bursts into life in your head? Or perhaps you recall trailers or adverts for the brand new documentary film about the his life?

Well whatever springs to mind, it all links back to one incredible man who unfortunately is no longer with us anymore, much to my great sadness.
The reason I am writing about Bob, is because I was lucky enough to watch that very film, that brand new documentary film aptly named 'Marley',  at the cinema yesterday. And I am so glad I did.

I never really knew much about Bob Marley, other than the handful of songs I came across through my guitar playing; for instance 'I Shot The Sheriff', 'Iron Lion Zion' and 'One Love', which happens to be my favourite song by him.
Therefore the opportunity to learn more about him, who he was, where he came from, the life he lead, was one I simple could not refuse.

The four and five star reviews also made me curious to see what was so special about this film in order for it to have received such high ratings. Now, having seen the film for myself, I can truly understand why it has received such ratings as the quality of the film itself is top notch and the portrayal of Bob's life is also just superb. I would advise anyone to watch this film; whether you are simply curious to find out more about him like I was, or whether you are a fan of his music or simply the man himself. Go out to your local cinema and let yourself be taken on the journey of Bob Marley's extraordinary life.

Having seen the film, I now want to purchase his records and play them all time and time again as there was not a single bad track played in the film. Every single track that filled the cinema had my fingers tapping and my soul feeling enlightened; it was the kind of music that sweeps you off your feet and carries you on a gentle rhythmic breeze. I don't think it's possible to watch 'Marley' and not take anything away from it.

Personally, as well as a desire to broaden my record collection, I want to read more of Bob's inspirational quotes and his messages because he encompassed and embodied so many things, such as peace, unity, equality. A true idol and one that I am so glad to have been exposed to and learnt more about; this incredible man, inspiration and musician's legacy will live on for a long time to come.

-Marley is out in cinemas now
-Official Website: http://www.bobmarley.com/
-Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Marley

No comments:

Post a Comment