Thursday 13 June 2013

GET LISTENING JUNE 2013

Sorry I haven't written in a while... in all honesty I've been lacking inspiration lately, but today I have a list of some good songs that will get you through this week very nicely indeed.
To make up for my absence I have also included paragraphs, not just sentences- I'm flexing my musical fingers and joints especially for you alright?
Now like always, it is quite a mix up of songs to say the least, but I hope you like the contrasts because after all, contrast is what makes life curiously interesting and anyway, who doesn't like to see hip hop and rock alongside each other every once in a while? 
So with the waffling done, I'll get you started on some seriously fab tunes...



1) STICKS AND STONES BY JAMIE T 
'This is one of those incredibly good yet underrated classics, simply a fantastically made song.
Although little has been released mainstream from Jamie, since 'Sticks & Stones' was released in 2009, he is still making music and hats off to Jamie because this is easily one of the best songs of the last decade.
If you didn't catch this number back in the day, I assure you that once you cross paths with it you will love it forever. Trust me. '


2) PARTY ON FIFTH AVE BY MAC MILLER
'Already big in America, Mac is only just making his transatlantic debut with his appearance on the soon to be released 'The Way' by Ariana Grande. So if you want a good taster of what he's about and the music he makes, 'Party on Fifth Ave' is a brilliant introduction to Mac's refreshing style of hip hop. Whack it on at a party and you will probably gain a new found appreciation from all your fellow party-goers.'



3) LIGHTHOUSE BY LUCY SPRAGGAN
'Although you would be in your right to snub Lucy for her tainted X Factor history and beginnings, I would advise you not to because you would be missing out on a seriously talented songstress and her witty, unique and refreshing approach to music. The writer of the perfectly true 'Beer Fear', which gives an unedited insight into the realities of getting wasted, Lucy is extremely talented in her ability to write truthful, catchy and engaging songs, and new tune 'Lighthouse' is no exception. It's a beautiful little song and definitley worth four minutes of your time (at the very least)'


4) HERE'S TO NEVER GROWING UP BY AVRIL LAVIGNE
'I really didn't want to like this but I do! I can't fight it any longer. Although Avril will probably never regain the incredibly popularity that tracks like 'Skater Boy' and 'Girlfriend' brought her, with more recent tracks such as 'What The Hell' and newbie 'Here's To Never Growing Up', she's certainly heading in the right direction and there's no denying that Miss Lavigne can make damn good pop music.
This isn't an incredible song, but it's catchy, relatable, fresh and has the ability to go down as the official ode for teenagers everywhere.'


5) EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED BY TAYLOR SWIFT FT ED SHEERAN
'This is one of my favourite  tracks off Taylor's 2012 release 'Red'. Ed and Taylor's voice meld wonderfully together and their brilliant songwriting abilities combined  makes for a truly beautiful and sweet little number that is sure to do well worldwide. Both are hugely respected and adored artists who write songs that resonate with millions of people and both have the ability to address numerous issues in honest, beautiful and unique ways. 'Everything Has Changed' is simply adorable in every sense and if that wasn't enough, the music video is easily the cutest thing I have ever seen in my whole life.'


6) THE OTHER SIDE BY JASON DERULO
'Normally, I find Jason's music to be the perfect accompaniment to a party and whilst I believe he is a great singer, I find his music to be good but mostly for a dance and a nice old sing along. 
Now I honestly do not know why, but 'The Other Side' is the one exception for me. It has somehow found it's way on to my i-pod and that never happens. But it has, and I'm not ashamed either, because this is a great comeback and it's definitely one of Jason's best tunes. I hope you can avoid the self provoked shame (because I'm not judging if you're not!) and listen, maybe dance, to this cracking party tune.'


7) TURN TO STONE BY ELO
'I know this one in particular is completely unexpected, and I'll be first to admit that although my playlists can be rather quirky and mismatched, this is pushing the boat out a bit for me. 
But before you throw your hands up in a 'quel suprise!' fashion, trust me alright? ELO are ruddy fantastic and that's musically proven because they are the masters that made the legend that is, 'Mr Blue Sky', and you just cannot argue with that. 
Aside from 'Mr Blue Sky', which I adore, 'Turn To Stone' is another of my all time favourites and you need to believe me when I say that ELO's music is literally out of this world. It's just amazing and  I thoroughly urge you to listen to them.'

8) MURDA BIZNESS BY IGGY AZALEA FT T.I
'Ay, ay, ay, can Iggy do no wrong? This girl is simply perfection. With monster tunes like 'Work' and 'Bounce', Iggy's already demonstrated that she is certainly not 'the white Nicki Minaj', no sir, this girl has her own brand of music. Althought there are comparions between Iggy and Nicki, Iggy's music certainly has a life of it's own and she's got some talent when it comes to melding beats, raps and melodies together. 
'Murda Bizness' is an example of that. Insanely catchy, it will make you feel so bad ass you might actually consider swagging around town with a fake gold tooth and luxuriously grand gold chain around your neck.'


9) TALK THROUGH THE NIGHT BY DOG IS DEAD
'I know I've mentioned Dog Is Dead and quite possibly this song before, but recently I've been listening to a lot of their music again and that my friend, is because it is magically wonderful and simply stunning.
These guys are going to be so good when they hit all the festivals this summer, because their music catalogue contains all the right records to get the crowd feeling alive, enamored, united.
 'Talk Through The Night' is just one of Dog Is Dead's fabulous creations along with others such as 'Glockenspiel Song' and 'Teenage Daughter', and you really don't want to miss out on these guys because they're just too good to miss. Go listen!'


10) FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS BY QUEEN
'Now just to mix things up even more, if that was possible, my last selection is the infamous and spectacularly good Queen tune, 'Fat Bottomed Girls'. Practically everyone knows this song, in fact, it could probably be our nations' anthem, instead of 'God Save The Queen', it's that well known.
And stumbling across this beauty the other day reminded me just how good the song is, how amazing Queen were and how great music is supposed to sound. 
This is an epic song in every sense.
 The way the drum beats instill a thumping through your veins and your body, the way Freddie's voice soars and dances as it guides the song and not to forget the hilarious yet touching lyrics. You need to remember how incredible this song really is, and when better than right now?

I hope you've enjoy the eclectic playlist I've composed for you today.
I want you to be off checking out some amazing new tunes whilst simultaneously shaking your bootie and dancing round the room to some fabulous old classics. 
Enjoy my lovelies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment