Sunday 15 July 2012

CHASE THE RUNAWAYS

I am thrilled to be here saying that The Killers are BACK. New single 'Runaways' has infiltrated into the first of a long line of radio shows and I cannot tell you how excited I am that they have finally given us a fantastic new offering. I am sure that this 80's-esque creation will be a definite musical companion this summer and having been denied a fix of The Killers for so long, many just won't be able to get enough of this new single, me included.

The single was given its first airing on the 10th of July, presumably on the Zane Lowe show as that's the place I first came across 'Runaways' earlier this week. It's a great piece of work that when listened to, makes me imagine soaring down the American outbacks in a ruby red Cadillac beneath endless turquoise skies and amongst deep golden sands, wind rushing through my hair.As you can see, I have a fairly active imagination that music seems to unleash to great extents. But yes, back to The Killers.

The last we heard of The Killers was the magnificent 2008 release, 'Day and Age', which has been a firm favourite in my record collection for the last three years ( I finally bought it in 2009). It's one of those records that never gets old. No matter how many years pass, or how many days since you last gave it a spin, you can just put this record on and it's like an everlasting fountain of youth. It doesn't matter that I've listened to 'Spaceman' at least a hundred times or more, as every time I listen to it, I fall in love with it all over again and this goes for the all other songs on the album too. 'Day and Age' was one of my first introductions to Indie and it gave me a musical direction in which to pursue, as I was falling out of love with McFly and all those NOW albums on my I-Pod.

Whenever I listen to a song by The Killers, I always think to myself 'now this is where I belong', their music almost feels like it was made for me, or I was made for their music. I think that it's important to have an artist with whom you can have this connection, as it's rare to find, and like when you buy a dog, or any other animal, you end of forging a lifelong dedication and companionship that never fades or dies. 'Day and Age' was easily one of the best albums of 2008, and that is why I am so excited about their new album, 'Battle Born', as if it can only match the brilliance of 'Day and Age', that would be enough. However with four years in the making, unlike the normal two, surely it is a definite that this album is going to be something of the amazing variety?

If 'Runaways' is any indication of what is to come, then I reckon that The Killers have plunged back into what they do best, but have really exuded in some elements for which they are known for, such as that 80's feel, and I really do think that 'Battle Born' will contain some of their best work yet. I don't know how I can wait till September, now I know that a new album is finally within touching distance, but if I have made it three years, two months should be nothing.

- New single 'Runaways'- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOeImx0kW4&feature=related
-NEW ALBUM IS OUT SEPTEMBER 18TH 2012
-Website: http://www.thekillersmusic.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment