Friday 4 January 2013

DON'T YOU, FORGET ABOUT ME- WHAT A TEENAGE CLASSIC

If you are well acquainted with movie soundtracks or in particular 80's classics, or you possess a pair of functioning eye balls, you may well already know what I am about to write about, judging by the title and the picture below. And if you are still sat there like 'huh, what's this mad woman on about?' well my friend I shall precede to inform you. 

Today's post is all about.... The Breakfast Club.
John Hughes' 1985 teen classic  that everyone says is an absolute must see film. And yes I know this is supposed to be a music blog and my job isn't to tell you about films nearly thirty years old, but seriously, the decision to have 'Don't You (Forget About Me)' by Simple Minds as the theme song is yet another  reason why this movie is so amazing.
I mean c'mon, it's such an epic song and one of the most iconic movie moments is when John Bender is walking across the football pitch with this song blazing in the background!
So because of that genius musical decision, I feel that The Breakfast Club is therefore a completely eligible subject to talk about.
So I shall begin...

Now I am the first to admit that for many years, I had a firm resilience against watching movies of a certain age, movies that were basically older than Toy Story 1, which came out in 1995. The only exceptions to this rule were Julie Andrews related classics like 'Mary Poppins' and 'The Sound of Music', as well as the normal Disney classics every little girl adores. All fantastic films of course but I can now see, so terribly clearly, that I was depriving myself hugely of a whole amazing back catalogue of truly iconic and wonderful films.

All that changed when I watched the first James Bond film 'Dr No.' at the persuasion of my father and I realised that actually, old films weren't that bad. In fact, they were actually quite good. So as you can guess, my stubborn resilience sharply declined which is why as a mature, sophisticated, appreciative teenager, I actually have a burning desire to watch all the old classics that so many people hold dear to their hearts. I want to watch these old films because in all honesty, most of them put many of the films out today to undeniable shame, as I realised when I decided that in 2013, I would do that, stay true to my resolution, and I started with 'The Breakfast Club.'

Prior to watching it, I had heard from numerous sources that The Breakfast Club is a real iconic film that every teenager just has to see. I'd heard all about the legendary ending scene with a certain Judd Nelson and I can't deny that I was a little curious to see just why that scene is considered to be so legendary. 
I'd stumbled across Molly Ringwald whilst watching a TV program and once again heard only good things about The Breakfast Club and after the film was referenced in 2012's 'Pitch Perfect', I knew I just had to be in on this little secret.
Why do people love it so much?

Well you can find out that answer only when you dedicate an hour and a half of your life to watching the movie in all its glory. I certainly did when I went to great lengths to find it online, because I am not a patient person, oh no, I act on impulse, spur of the moment rushes that mean I need to do whatever it is, right here, right now at this very second.
I promise you  that I am going to buy the actual DVD, but yesterday, when I was spending all day in desperation, trying to find a good link, I ended up watching the movie with Greek subtitles... classy eh?
I just couldn't wait a week for Amazon delivery!
But oh my, all that trailing around was most definitely worth it.

I don't know if you've had the pleasure of watching The Breakfast Club or not, but if you haven't it's basically about five teenagers, all of a different clique, who get stuck in detention all day Saturday for various personal reasons. You have Brian, 'the brain', Allison, 'the basket case', Andrew, 'the athlete', Claire, 'the princess' and Bender, 'the criminal'. 
Opting not to speak to each other in normal school circumstances, when thrown in to the situation of Saturday morning detention, they're all forced to evade normal social hierarchy and talk to one another, eventually finding that they are each so much more than just their pre-conceived, stereotyped social images.

As a teenager myself, it's obvious that I can relate to these characters as each represents a different struggle, a different limitation, a different perspective, so much so that I'm certain almost every teenager could relate to one of these characters in some shape or form.
And as the five main characters end up discussing a whole caliber of issues that affect every teenager regardless of generation, things like love, sex, drugs, peer pressure, grades, insecurities, family, you begin to realise that you aren't alone, none of us are alone. We all go through similar things when we're caught between childhood and adulthood, left to figure out life in all it's glory and struggle, and yet ironically we fail to realise that we aren't alone. 
In fact we're all in the exact same boat, all unified by the fact we're teenagers, experiencing those same changes, feelings, struggles, some more so than others, but still enough so to unify us all.
The Breakfast Club showed me all this, what I've just written above, and in all honesty I feel like a better person now because of it. 
Isn't it amazing how a movie can make you feel that way?

Even if you're not a teenager, you can still relate to the whole take on social stereotypes, which can still lead into the workplace, you can relate to the insecurities and struggles that can sometimes last your whole life and you can definitely relate to the monster, king of emotions, that is love.
And of course you will undoubtedly love the theme song as well.
The Breakfast Club really is just an excellent film all round. You have your superb casting choices, for example Judd Nelson's performance as Bender is just unfaultable, you also have your witty dialogue which has you laughing till your sides hurt or crying till you've basically flooded the entire living room. 
You have the whole relatable  aspect, you have the beautiful romance between the bad boy and the good girl, you have the lessons that you learn without even realising. 

Before watching this movie, I didn't understand why The Breakfast Club is hailed as one of the best teenage films of all time. I didn't know why everyone says 'oh my gawd, you just need to watch this film before you die' or why everyone states so proudly that this is their utmost favourite film ever.
I didn't know why girls say they love Judd Nelson so much, I didn't know what made this movie so special, I didn't even know that 'Don't You (Forget About Me)' was the soundtrack
(Excuse me while I cry of shame as you all hurtle squished tomatoes and tangerines at me).
But I'm proud to say that I understand it all completely now.
And I'm also extra proud to say this movie, The Breakfast Club, is now one of my favourite films of all time and I shall be forcing all my friends to watch it just so that we can sing Simple Minds together whilst gushing about Judd Nelson.
Oh yeah ;)

Simple Minds, Don't You (Forget About Me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A
The Breakfast Club Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkX8J-FKndE
(A drawing of mine I did in tribute hehe :D) 


No comments:

Post a Comment