Wednesday 3 October 2012

OH IS FOR OCTOBER...

NEW MUSIC ALERT! Oh yes, October has rolled around and has brought with it new music that is quickly finding its way onto my I Pod and being played like it's some sort of holy offering. Therefore I wanted to give you an insight into what I'm loving and what I think you just might love too....

1) CLIQUE- KANYE WEST, JAY-Z & BIG SEAN
What a bass line, what a hook line, what a beat! I defy anyone to listen to this and not like it. It really is that good. Off the upcoming 'Cruel Summer' album by Kanye West, 'Clique' combines the vocals of Big Sean, Jay-Z and of course Kanye in a song that stamps its foot loudly and proudly on the hip-hop scene.

Oozing with swag and confidence, you can't listen to 'Clique' and not feel like you too are up there with these big name rappers, owning your neighbourhood, exuding such swag and firing your beats into the lime light. You can feel the beats of this song throughout your body, they take control of you and it's impossible to sit still- trust me, I have tried, but my urge to move with the music is too strong to deny.

'Clique' has the perfect balance of verse and chorus, the raps aren't elongated to unnecessary lengths, the chorus actually compliments, fits in and links the verses instead of being a random addition of powerhouse vocal that is completely unrelated to the rap. I can't describe to you how good this song is; the producing by Hit-Boy is magnificent, the rappers together make a combination you never knew sounded so right, the beats and the bass line are immense, this song is just wow. You need to listen to it yourself because once you hear this monster of song, you will want to click, click, click that download button at the speed of Nicki Minaj when she's off rapping about starship and what not ...
HEAR THE SONG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrLNHbEzMg

2) TWO FINGERS- JAKE BUGG
Just going to show how diverse my music taste is, this next section is about Jake Bugg, an 18 year old guy from Nottingham who just happens to be mates and touring with Noel Gallagher of Oasis superstardom. Pretty cool huh? Well I believe that Mr Bugg is going to be big when his time comes around.

The reason for this is he is different, he is unique, he is talented and that is why the likes of Noel, NME Magazine and Zane Lowe are hailing him as one to watch and making sure they get their claim on him before his juggernaut to success arrives. Jake makes music reminiscent of The Beatles, Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix, all of which despite being absolute legends, don't seem to have created a new generation of artists who fully embrace and aspire to create their style and genre of music. Somewhere along the line, it's been forgotten and buried under the dance, disco, soul, R&B, pop and hip hop that emerged decades after.

But Jake is bringing it back to life. The sound of the 60's has found a new spokesperson and I for one am thrilled and relieved that someone who embraces it perfectly is finally stepping out onto the music scene. He's taking the baton from the likes of Miles Kane, who was up there championing the new age of the sixties sound, and taking it further than ever before. So if you like 'Two Fingers', which is a relaxed, catchy affair so very reminiscent of the early Beatles sound, then you will really like Jake Bugg. Trust me, I can taste it... (another bad pun right there)
LISTEN TO IT NOW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9XwFecNXyU

HOMEPAGE: http://jakebugg.com/

3) ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN- ELLIE GOULDING
For me, Ellie has always been one of those artists that I know of because their songs are always on the radio or in the charts and everyone raves about them like their a God send but I can never understand why. I liked all the songs I heard off her last album 'Lights', but I didn't love them. I respected her as an artist, I respected her talent, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about.
Then I heard this song.

'Anything Could Happen' is the first release off Ellie's upcoming album 'Halcyon', released on the 5th of October, and it is the first Ellie Goulding song that I love. It is the first song of hers that makes me see exactly what it is that makes her so talented and why she won that Brit Award in 2010. 'Anything Could Happen' is a brilliant song; it's haunting and dreamy, powered by synthesizers and a solid beat and the mix up of electro, pop and folk works incredibly well. I suspect their are other artists working in the same vein as Ellie, combining such genres in their music to equally good levels, but Ellie is the most main steam and her foray into such genres seems to have done her wonders because when you hear this song, you can't help but feel that Ellie has found the style she does best.

'Anything Could Happen' deserves to be recognized and appreciated and I hope her new album is full of this new sound because I for one think it's fantastic and I'm so glad that Ellie has found a style to call her own.
TAKE A LISTENhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hzgS9s-tE8

4) TALK THROUGH THE NIGHT- DOG IS DEAD
Proving that Nottingham is producing a new wave of brilliant, fresh and original talent, Dog Is Dead, who are natives of the city, are also making their way onto the music scene. NME has hailed them as 'main stage stars in waiting' and once you hear a song by them, you can see why. These songs are going to be sung by thousands of people in muddy festival fields and blasted out of cars on beautiful summer nights.

Dog Is Dead, who are reminiscent of Bombay Bicycle Club, make music that is destined to bring people together and make those people smile, forget their worries and just have a good time. It's carefree, optimistic, youthful and fun, it's the kind of music that makes you want to live your life, make some memories and have a ball. This band are really on to something.

'Talk Through The Night' is their newest offering and believe it or not, was Radio One DJ Annie Mac's Big Thing last week and is currently gracing Radio One's 'In New Music We Trust' list, so you can expect to hear more of Dog Is Dead on the airwaves soon. 'Talk Through The Night' is simple, youthful and well made and although not a complete stand out, it's certainly very, very promising and as Dog Is Dead master their style and perfect it even more, I believe they will soon be producing monster records that leave you speechless and covered in goosebumps, hungry for more.
HEAR THE SONG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTLJP74bLg
HOMEPAGE: http://dogisdead.co.uk/

5) RED- TAYLOR SWIFT
Oh now this is good. I respect that Taylor Swift isn't everyone's cup of tea, but oh my, this record is quite something. Upon hearing it for the first time yesterday, I was covered in goosebumps and smiling with relief that her new album, out 22nd October, is not going to be a 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' pop affair.

In the run up to her album release, Taylor has been releasing a new song every week, and last week's 'Begin Again' saw her return to her country roots and produce a sound consisting of soft sorrow and beautiful vocals, nothing like the catchy pop heard on the 'We Are....' record.

So this week, the title record came out and this record really is wow. The sheer power of this song is so full on and exuberant that it seems to hit you like a high speed train and doesn't loosen it's grasp until the ending note plays out. The tempo is upbeat, the vocals are powerful and emotional and strong, and the songwriting is particularly commendable. I don't know how she writes lyrics like that, but there is no denying that this girl is so very talented at piecing words together so beautifully.

I don't know if 'Red' will be released as an official single or not, but I hope it is purely so that people can see that there is more to Taylor then first meets the eye. Despite being a huge fan of hers for over three years now, this song really blew me off my feet as I have never heard her produce something as bold and strong as 'Red'. Despite knowing how talented she is, 'Red' made my mouth drop in amazement and I hope it does the same for you. If you want to see why she has done so well in the music industry, listen to this record and you'll probably see why...
LISTEN TO IT NOW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW8QNIiu1A





No comments:

Post a Comment